Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Miss Clarity Café

Miss Clarity Cafe
5 Purvis Street
Tel: 6339-4803
Open 7am to 11pm
Closed on Sundays



After the Cheryl (the baker who bakes and cooks) has been repeatedly, and I mean, REPEATEDLY blogging about eating at Miss Clarity Café, I thought I should go down to see what she was raving and buzzing about. Word must be getting around since when I got there they were nearly full: they were holding multiple tables for their dinner reservations and so they set up a make shift dinner table to accommodate my dining companion and me.

The first think that strikes me about this place is the bright colours. If you are here to sulk and to wallow, the colours make it almost impossible for you to do so. The splashes of yellow, green and pink keep the place looking lively, sprinkled with the young wait staff they have, it oozes happiness and youthful energy.

Nosh: The menu consist of what we Singaporeans tend to commonly call “Western Food” – Sirloin steak, oxtail stew, chicken gordon [sic] bleu, pastas, soups and salads. Although the very friendly waiter recommended the chicken ballotine, we ordered the pork piacatta and the breaded dory. My pork piacatta was far from spectacular, and the breaded dory was fully cooked: the mid section was uncooked and since they were looking really harassed and we were hardly impressed, we decided to just eat around the raw section of the dory.

To be fair, it is probably one of the cheapest places in Singapore to get a sirloin steak. The food is inexpensive and lovingly presented, so for that price I would not complain. In fact, the price is very right for a cheery place to sit, decent food and wonderfully cheerful service. However, my visit was a disappointment. Miss Clarity presents itself as a truly value for money diner so maybe I’ll return if I’m around the area to have this chicken ballotine that Cheryl recommends (repeatedly !), but I don’t think I’ll be fighting peak hour traffic for a dinner table here.

Pay: No more than S$10 for a main course. It is fantastic value for money.

Service: Very friendly.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thks for de review on de cafe. I chance upon de cafe last week & it was packed. I was wonderin if de food is gd.Cux.... Pardon me for stereo typing but U know if an eatery is packed, it's either de food is good or de price is cheap.(ya! Cux sme pple are more concern abt de px rather than de quality of food)
Well at least my expectation has been managed if I ever do check out de cafe. *wink*

9:45 AM  
Blogger Da Buffalo! said...

Went there for the second time on Friday, and they've "reviewed" the prices. Still very reasonable, but it wasn't nearly as good an experience as my virgin visit. Firstly, maybe the crowd gave way to the inexperience of the service staff. Orders were mixed up and a couple were missed out. Food was less impressive. And the chicken ballotine is not all that much to shout about. Hmmm. A disappointment, but all in all alright. Like you said joooooone, if I'm around the area.

10:38 AM  
Blogger the baker said...

ahhh... why have i been receiving so much feedback about their drop in standards? honestly, it wasn't like that when i went there previously. aiyo.. maybe i should pass them the message and hopefully they'll take heed and pull up their socks? but then again, it could also be cos of the overwhelming surge in customers.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hihi.. Chanced upon ur page while searching for teh cafe webby.. I've personally been there twice, yet to try the chicken ballotine though, but the calamari is sOoOoOo gOoOoD yOu Ought to try.. Anyway, I heard the chef was from Westin or somewhere.. Award-winning some more..

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there today with a friend. The chicken soup was thin, had no chicken in it but it tasted surprising hearty. The oysters were fresh, huge and cheap at $8 for half a dozen and served properly with lemon wedges, on ice. But the fried spicy wings were disappointing. I couldn't taste any marinade on it. When I tried to use the salt shaker, the lid on it was already covered with salt and spilled on the side plate. My friend's chicken ballotine was yummy, my tomyam pasta was a little too salty for my liking. The paste was a little strong. We both loved the bread and butter pudding though, wish it was a little larger. I'll prolly go again, but I'll skip the chicken wings and tomyam pasta.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to check out this restaurant after reading a blog site. I agree the chicken soup was rather thin. I ordered soft shell crab pasta. The soft shell crab was ok but the pasta was quite bland and overcooked. My friend had oxtail with potato and the mash potato wasn't done very well. Not sure what is the rave about this restaurant.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, have heard much abt the cafe but my first visit was the last, which i won't even consider going back for, rather find it over-rated. like the decor thot, very colourful, if you only need a place to hang out without food consideration, perhaps can make it...food price was okay but the food was so so only, we ordered the pasta and seafood risotto which turn up to be rather a dissapointment. mushroom soup was rather bland and Service was much left to said, had a very unpleasant experience with the waitress who inisted we sit facing the pillar despite many empty seats (almonst empt) and request to change was turned down, as all other tables are reserve incase there are crowds later....it is 2+pm what crowd??? Luckily the supervisor upon our complaint change us to another table to salvage the situation. "Jas"

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home