Monday, August 29, 2005

#18 IMBB: Deep-Fried Prawns with Tom Yum Dipping Sauce

I have to confess, deep-frying frightens me. It is scary for a clumsy person like me to have a deep dish of hot fat that is hot hot hot and spits back at you if you item to be deep fried has a drop of water. Furthermore, you should slowly lower the item into the deep fryer to minimize the splash that it will make just in case hot oil splashes back but yet you want to stand at a safe distance from the deep fryer. To me, it is just a catch-22. However, if it is safely and well done, deep frying does create a beautiful crunch that is music to the ears and wonderful to have. I love to hate deep frying, but it is a splendid method of cooking that appeals to all and is a wonderful way of creating textures and flavous.

Hence, this is how I deep fry:

1. Heat the fat
2. Go as close to the fryer, gently drop the item in
3. RUN AWAY and savor the bubbling and sizzling sounds from a distance

I don’t recommend my method, it is to a certain extent deep-frying for wimps, but I give myself some credit for finding my own style.

This is my latest deep-fried dish in the deep end of the deep fryer and I am pleased to announce that I have found another way to be a wimpy deep fryer. I skewer my food to be deep-fried so that gives me more distance from the hot fat which utterly frightens me.

Deep-Fried Prawns with Tom Yum Dipping Sauce
Serves 4



Ingredients:

15-20 prawns, de-shelled and de-veined
Satay Sticks
1 egg
½ cup corn starch
½ cup of tom yum sauce

Directions:

Make the sauce and set aside

Skewer prawns by stretching the prawns lengthways

Lightly beat the egg. Roll the prawns in the egg wash and then the corn starch and set aside.

Heat oil and make sure it is hot enough, either by testing it with a satay stick to see if vigourous bubbles gather around the satay stick or you can test with a small piece of bread.

Get ready a plate with paper towels and when oil is hot enough and deep fry prawns.

Serve immediately with sauce.

Tom Yum Sauce
(makes 2 cups)

Ingredients:

4 tbsp vegetable oil
3 stalks of lemongrass, peeled and trimmed to 8cm then finely sliced
2 tsp of peeled and finely sliced galangal
3 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
1 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp roasted chili oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
250ml whipping cream
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp lime juice
1 cup chicken stock

Directions:

Heat oil, fry lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves and chili flakes until golden brown.

Add chilies in oil, sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce and cream, stirring constantly.

Add lime and additional stock if is too thick.

5 Comments:

Blogger eat stuff said...

OH! This looks so yummy, I love the way you describe deep frying :)

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a love-hate relationship with deep-frying foods: hate the splatters, the smoke, the grease, the cleaning-up (urgh!), but love how sinfully crispy and delicious the end result is.

Your style sure is unique, but hey, ultimately it gets the job done. :)

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, the finger slipped and clicked a little too soon!

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, I have not deep fried in more than 10 years. A job best left to experts.
umami
http://umami.typepad.com/

11:53 PM  
Blogger joone! said...

Clare and Julia: Thanks!

Umami: awww .. but deep fried food is so comforting. Sometimes you just need something greasy :)

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home