Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Feeding the Munchies!

Having stumbled into Highlander on Sunday for lunch, I discovered that they do rather good and reasonably priced set lunch. With nothing priced over $20, you have a choice of an “Scottish-themed” main course and a soup of the day, of which was shrimp bisque on Sunday, and a scoop of ice cream to finish off (and its more than a vanilla, chocolate and strawberry choice but vanilla, chocolate, lemongrass, passion fruit and honey & fig).

I spent most of my lunch half-listening to the conversation at the table and gazing through a glass window at children running through and around a water feature without a care in the world—taking this to the extreme point was a child streaker, but I guess that was kind of funny. That aside, the food was better than I expected. We had the grilled pork chop marinated in thyme and served on roasted apricot, safe and good, beer battered fish and chips, where I liked the hand-cut chips and the Grampian stovies, which is pan-fried herbed beef served with onion cakes and crispy oatcakes, hmmm.. I couldn’t really appreciate this and of course the other Scottish thing that is as well known as its kilts, the national dish, Haggis.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This was my first experience with Haggis. Ok, it doesn’t sound fancy or looks particularly pretty, but it taste good, and it is so well seasoned with spices that you don’t taste anything foul. Haggis, I liked.

Since I’m rambling about pub-grub-gastropub, there are two other places that I that I like and sometimes I think about their food before their drinks. Whilst we are blessed with plenty of late night eating strips around the city state, good pub grub is often a more welcomed option for instant gratification when the post-drinking munchies hit. So if part of your mission is to be decently fed and to grease up before a long night out, these are two places I like.

Ice Cold Beer
9 Emerald Hill Road
Tel: 6735-9929


As its name suggests, this place offers a wide range of bottled beers. What is perhaps unknown to some is that it does serve up some finger licking good chicken wings and juicy mini burgers served with shoe string fries.

Kazbar
25 Church St.
#01-03 Capital Square
Tel: 6438-2975
http://www.kazbar.com/

Because of its location, this popular post-work hangout has a regular belly dancer to accompany its Middle Eastern food and décor. But really, the most important phase that you need to know here is “lamb chops”. I swear these are one of the yummiest lamb chops I’ve ever had, charred, blackened and very excitingly spiced, it is good. Once you start, you can’t stop, in fact I know of four grown men who polished about 60 chops between them. It is really that good.

Highlander
Block 3B, The Foundry
#01-11 Clarke Quay
River Valley Road
Tel: 6235 9528
http://www.highlanderasia.com/

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Ice Cold Beer! :)

The beef stew is wonderful too. Served with crusty ciabatta.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, do you mean all the set lunches for sunday are below 20 or the mains alone are below 20?

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Crispy Munchies said...

Yup, that Crispy Munchies sandwich is making me hungry.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home