Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Mellben: CRAB BEE HOON!

Mellben Seafood
Blk 211, Lorong 8 Toa Payoh
#01-11-15
Tel: 6353-3120

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Since the tail end of last year, the monthly makankakis meeting has been a regular feature on my calender. The first one was at Sha Tin Kitchen where I shared the table with the skinny epicurean, DSD, ninjahellokitty and Umami. It is always good fun to share the table with fellow foodies and friends to share food and animated conversation.

The last makankaki’s outing was at the 2 month old branch outlet of the original Mellben in Ang Mo Kio. Mellbe n has its own sort of cult following from crab lovers, and now that I’ve tasted the glorious soup I’m hooked and am now a follower. Most of the other dishes that led to the crab finale were ok but were more like tummy and time fillers, building up the anticipation to the hot bubby claypots of rich milky roe-enriched robust soup.

Confession: I’ve been there twice in the span of four days.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Greedyboy who had to cancel on me for the Mellben Makan outing insisted that he missed out and had to have it, and shaving tasted the crabilious soup, I put up little resistance to the second outing. On my second date with Mellben, I sampled other dishes on the menu including the other house crab signature, Shimmering Sand Crab, which is deep fried crab that is tossed in a lemakish sauce that is perfumed with curry leaves and other aromatics and topped with shimmering sand bits of fried crushed oats. Between the two crab dishes, my vote is still with the crab bee hoon soup, less frills and more focused on the crab essence.

Having eaten here with a crowd of 60 and a group of four, I can testify that Mellben has a good system of quality control, where on both occasions, their crowd pulling dish of crab bee hoon was stellar.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

*see more photos here and here

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colander?

Freudian slip... Hyuk! Hyuk! Hyuk!

Hopefully Slow Food would be on it too.

11:54 AM  
Blogger tigerfish said...

This looks good! :O~~~

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRAB BEE HOON!!! Those nestum bits look like pork floss... imagine if it was pork floss.... mmmmm!! I've only tried the XO Crab Bee Hoon at Holland Drive and I thought it was a genius idea! I hear there's an outlet in Ghim Moh that is better.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh! I was there at the makan outing! I sat with Andrew (ttc), didn't know you were there.

Reading this has got me craving their soup again...

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello. do you know if the mellben at joochiat is original? i just saw it a couple of days ago.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home