Thursday, January 04, 2007

Colbar & Hope

Colbar
9A Whitchurch Road
Wessex Estate

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I usually leave Colbar with a sense of hope. There is something very calming about this place and how unaffected it has remained by the pressure of the fast pasce and constant need to change and modernise. It almost demonstrates how life can be simpler and the pleasures of it. At Colbar, well-behaved and trained dogs roam around freely and children swing from a tire hung from a tree.

Do what you like here. The table next to us finished their lunch then proceeded to sip glasses of iced tea over a game of Uno, while seated at the entrance was a old man engrossed in his book and nursing his cold beer. I brought my own magazine to flip through, but if you forget your own reading material and have an itch to read, you can use the Colbar library, which is located on the left from the ordering counter. It works on a trust system: you can even take the book home, just return it or bring another to replace it when you come back.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

With regards to food, as its name Colbar (short for Colonial Bar), its menu is eclectic and large—consisting 104 dishes. It features the versatility of the colonial Hainanese cooks who were able to whip up invented local version western food, hearty British dishes and other Asian dishes. Hand-cut chips accompany the selection of chicken chops, pork chops, pork cutlets, steaks and various versions of deep-fried fish, which not only scream retro but also comfort and familiarity. And if western isn’t really for you, there are a handful of Chinese dishes available on the menu. The curry chicken that has been blogged about by CH is also good, spicy but not chilli hot, so it is suitable for adult non-chilli eaters and children! The food is really down-to-earth but to be honest, I don’t really come here for the food; I come here for a sense of hope and a reminder to take the time to savour the simple pleasures in life.

*See the whole set of pictures here

4 Comments:

Blogger Chubby Hubby said...

Hey there, great post! I love Colbar. You have very rightly hit the nail on the head. This great little place represents a much slower, quieter and more relaxed side of our little city that we often forget about. Happy new year!

11:12 PM  
Blogger joone! said...

thanks, happy new year to you too!

9:39 PM  
Blogger superfinefeline said...

Your god-daughter is soooo adorable! I'm a proud god-mother to an English Cocker Spaniel, Cookie! I think his mom should have added Monster to his name as he's quite a monster of a cookie! I have a hole in my t-shirt thanx to my godson's artistic tendencies.

10:48 PM  
Blogger allie said...

Colbar exudes this undescribable serenity. When I was there, I felt like I was in a totally different country. I like that place (was there yesterday for lunch).

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home