Sunday, May 15, 2005

And I said, “What about breakfast at Sebestien’s, as I recall, we both kinda liked it…"

Sebastien’s Bistrot
12, Greenwood Avenue
Singapore 289204
Tel: 6465-1980

Breakfast is one of my favourite meals of the day. Despite the fact that I’m probably one of the most boring breakfast eaters you might ever know. I have eaten yoghurt with muesli and extra bran for years and am not ready to change that routine except that I have traded in my freshly squeezed juice for the fresh fruit itself, other than that, nothing has changed; I usually even use the same bowl. Once in a while and usually on a weekend, we would have a breakfast outing as a family, either trotting down to my father’s old stomping ground at Tiong Bahru market for his comfort porridge or a good bowl of mee pok. Today was slightly different; we had a date with decadence. Our breakfast expedition was to double-up as our delayed present to our mother for mother’s day since the restaurants were bursting at their seams last weekend. It’s a great way to start a Sunday too, slow and easy, with a slightly luxurious and comforting meal and a cuppa.


Egg Perigourdine with soldiers

Nosh: Breakfast choices include the full English, continental, or choice of eggs with bacon, sausage, baked tomato, mushroom ragout and baked beans. Either that or you can piece your own breakfast together.

We all went for the Egg Perigourdine with soldiers, which was basically the full monty with our eggs baked with some foie gras and drizzled with truffle oil. The eggs were a delight, it felt a little decadent for my stomach 9am, but whatever doesn’t kill it will make it stronger and happier. The rest of the platter was well presented but I think the mushroom ragout which tasted to me like mushrooms buried in a roux was too much for me, I would rather have them sautéed in some herbed butter. If you do order a café grand, be warned, it is GRAND, it is a soup bowl rather than a enlarged mug of coffee and isn’t too ergonomic for drinking. However, all in all, breakfast was good.

I haven’t had lunch or dinner here yet, but being part of the les aims group, it shouldn’t be that bad, although it will be a little on the pricey side.

Pay: A big breakfast a la Sebestien’s ranges between S$10-S$17, depending on how you would like your eggs done.

Raves: They say the most important meal of the day is breakfast, so what better way to kick-start your day. The ambience is also inviting and comforting and accented with cute half cheesy red and white gingham napkins and lampshades.

Disappointed: They only serve breakfast on weekends and public holidays. We took a futile drive down during one of the weekdays and had to drive home. Boo.

3 Comments:

Blogger joone! said...

Thanks! I got hungry reading your post on pizzas!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Chubby Hubby said...

Oh my god! A reference to Deep Blue Something. I had forgotten that band even existed. I saw them back in 1996. Amusingly, they were the headliner and the singer opening for them was Jewel. Oh, I too love breakfast at Sebastien's! Yum.

1:23 PM  
Blogger LiquidShaDow said...

Oh wow, the Egg Perigourdine with soldiers
looks great. Another reason to make an exception on wkends and wake up early for breakfast.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home