Monday, May 23, 2005

Ahodori

5 Koek Road
#01-01/02 Cuppage Plaza
Singapore 228796
Tel: 67372221



After reading a past entry on Ahodori by Chubby Hubby, we decided that we were left with no choice but to head there for dinner to try the yakitori out. They don’t serve you a whole array of yakitori, that is that won’t serve you everything that crawls on the land and things that swim in the sea, but what they do serve, they do serve it up well, and maybe that’s the idea - ‘let’s just stick to what we are good at’.

Nosh: Chicken yakitori – chicken balls, fillet, morsels, hearts, livers. In addition to this they have a pretty long list of appetizers that you can order from, I had the baby potatoes with the sweet sauce because Chubby Hubby was raving about them, and they were indeed absolutely delicious. The only thing that kind of scared me was that a sizable number of appetizers contained raw chicken and the only thing I could think of was salmonella and so I didn’t sample any of those.

What they grilled, they grilled well. The chicken balls were tender and tasty and the chicken liver was almost divine. Over cooked liver is gross and I’m in awe how the chef managed to get the cooking and timing absolutely spot on, cripsy on the outside and just cooked and wobbly inside. I shall some day attempt to do this on my grill, but I expect myself to take a year to get the timing spot on.

In addition to that, we decided to try out their rice dishes. We had the house speciality – Gomoku Kamaseshi which was steamed rice with chicken and vegatables in a small ceramic pot and we also had the tori chazuke which is a soupy mixture of tea and chicken. I never had tea rice but the flavours are very gentle and subtle and its not that tea-ish at all. I recommend you trying anything from the rice section.

Pay: S$25-S$40 a person for dinner, for the works and a little more for sake.

Raves: I think I’ll come back for a few more liver on sticks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chubby Hubby said...

hiya joone, glad to hear you enjoyed your meal there. i love that place. the only thing that puts me off is the overall seediness of the mall its in ;-)

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked out Kazu on the 4th floor?
It serves sumiyaki but it looks like meat on sticks to me. They have heavenly yakitori, the pork and apple satay is one of the tastiest things I've ever had.
About $110 for 2.

Sue

8:20 PM  
Blogger joone! said...

No i haven't! and it seems like this place is a goldmine of japanese restaurants. You should try hachi!

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home