Friday, January 21, 2005

Shun Lu Bak Chor Mee – Del’s Meepok Store


Shun Lu Bak Chor Mee
588 Jalan Datoh
Teck Seng Coffeeshop

Open only for breakfast and lunch and closed on Mondays



This was the first place that my cousin/neighbour/best friend/nutter putter brought me to when I got back from Europe for my meepok fix. Unfortunately for us, on our first few attempts it was shut and so we had to turn around and drive home with empty stomachs. However, patience as I learnt is a virtue and we succeeded on our third attempt. So going back today made me think about the first time I was here and how my cousin is now away and should be missing her meepok and so I shall have to return the favour and buy her breakfast here when she gets home.

If you go big, the large bowl here would cost you S$5. I however advise you to go for the dry version rather than the soup because the soup is a little bland and if you are stubborn on having a soup, I would point you to my favourite meepok stall in Bishan. I guess in meepok land it is expensive for a bowl of noodles, but, let me explain to you why it is good. First of all, it has dried fish bits for you to crunch or to put in your soup, whichever you so desire. Secondly, the mushrooms here are very well stewed and flavoured. Thirdly, the chili is good. A little mind blowing in the sense that my ears popped and my nose started running. On the other hand, it is a good way to clear your nasal passage. They also give you a pretty generous bowl of soup with pork balls and the Chinese moss. There are also small bits of crackling which for the sake of my health I try to avoid, but if you crunch on one or two, they are always such a delight.

The other good thing about coming here is that there is a chicken and duck rice stall next to it so which waiting for your noodles, which would usually take a while due to the crowd, you could order a plate of chicken and duck to chomp on as an amuse bouche. The chicken is pretty good too, soft, succulent and the sauce is good – garlicky and not too salty. The only downside about this place is that it can get really hot sitting along the 5 foot way due to our hot and humid tropical weather but that’s life here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh June!!! Ahhh! Droool, Smack, Slurp...!
Sigh! I need some meepok.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home