Sunday, November 21, 2004

My Meepok!


Mushroom Minced Pork Mee
located in Rong Fa Eating House

Blk 150 Bishan Street 11,
#01-155/159

Perhaps after the fiercely debated topic of which political party would win the elections in Singapore, the most common debate that has come up with Singaporeans: Where is the Best Mee Pok in Singapore?


My favourite Meepok Stall in Bishan

Even between my family, we have our differing opinions and we have come to a point where we have agreed to disagree. We have had our own internal mee pok battle, where we've been to each of our personally nominated favourite stalls: sampled, judged, criticized and stubborn voted for our own stalls as the best. So at the end of the day, its really all a matter of taste, some want more fishballs, other more minced meat, other want some old-school teochew meepok, so really, there are too many variables to make the perfect meepok.

This place is one of my favourites. This was my nomination in the meepok battle that we had due to a number of reasons. One, it is an unsung hero in our culinary island. Everyone has heard of the Bedok meepok and the ones that have been repeatedly featured by the different food programmes, but this one is tucked in a corner on my side of the island in Bishan, which would go unnoticed with its no-fuss, no-nonsense, straight talking name of: Mushroom Minced Pork Mee. Two, the Meepok-tah is vinegar based, which I prefer to the ketchup based ones. Three the chili packs a mean punch. Four, if you have the soup instead, it is fantastic and it even has wolfberry in it! Five, a large bowl is only S$3. Six, despite the many restaurants that I go to and absolutely love, this was the one thing I really missed when I lived abroad for half a year, MY MEEPOK. Being the fruitcake that I am, I went to this stall nearly every day for a week before I left for Europe for six months and it was one of the first places I went back to when I got home. Need more reasons? Go there yourself and add it to my list.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Got people debate about which political party will win in SG meh? There is only one! Haha!

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am lost for words. It just gets better and better.

Reading your blog is a treat for all the senses.

I no longer can hold back and have started licking the pictures of the food on my screen.

Eugene

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home