Sunday, November 14, 2004

Club Chinois: Chic Chinois.

Club Chinois
1 Tanglin Road, #02-18,
Orchard Parade Hotel,
Singapore 247905

If I'm not wrong this place has been open since 1999 and I cannot believe that I've haven't been here since it has opened. 5 years too late. Nonetheless, better late than never, this place has just undergone renovations in the last 6 months, but I have no idea how it looked like before, but judging from how it looks now, it looks great. Its got these funky modern chairs where you feel like a "Conehead" when you sit on them because of the length of the backboard. Other than that, I liked the general feel of the place, its modern Chinese or chic Chinese, which was an indication of food that they served.

I'm a big fan of fusion food, but sometimes it does get a little boring, usually every modern-French or fusion type of restaurant would have the Cod Fish with Miso sauce or something along those lines, where somehow for some strange reason there is a general bias towards marrying the Japanese and French flavours, maybe because one is generally lighter and the other creamer and rich, I'm not sure. This place however brings fusion to another level; firstly you don't have your usual cliché miso cod fish, secondly, the basis or the fundamentals influence here is Chinese and the predominant flavours are Chinese or oriental rather than French. Here’s an example and something that you MUST have when you dine here. Crispy Peking roast duck skin, foie gras and onion pancake with salad. (below)



I am tempted to write extensively about this restaurant and to write a 4 part mini-series of the various things that I sampled, but it would just be too indulgent, and I like variety in life. Going back to this dish, words fail me, and all I can tell you is that eating that was like having a carnival in my mouth, it was sweet, sour, crispy, rich, creamy, crunchy, acidic... And that was just the first dish! They have 2 dégustation menus here priced at S$68+++ and S$88+++, but upon surveying that, we decided to create our own dégustation menu from the á la carte. Almost everything I tried was fabulous, other things I would recommend when you do go, is the cod with egg white and vinegar, wuxi pork rib, tofu with spinach, well actually I think anything on the menu is rather respectable, but ask them for their house specialties and it is quite hard to go wrong with those. The four of us had a self-invented menu of 5 dishes for under S$350, inclusive of S$30+++ charge for corkage.

Just a few minor details that irritated me, they served the food at different timings so they need more co-ordination with serving the tables. Service here is efficient, so no real complains, except that they wanted me to order in mandarin, which was horrific, but somehow we managed.

1 Comments:

Blogger LiquidShaDow said...

Just a comment regarding what you said above, I quote
"where somehow for some strange reason there is a general bias towards marrying the Japanese and French flavours, maybe because one is generally lighter and the other creamer and rich, I'm not sure"

Actually, the food from Southern France is not really creamy or rich. It's a northern signature. South of France leans towards Mediterranean.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home