Monday, November 12, 2012

Harumi's Carrot and Tuna Salad

I wanted something really fast and simple for dinner today. So while milling around the supermarket Harumi’s Carrot and Tuna Salad came to mind. The mental cooking plan was simple, buy carrots and tuna, prep, microwave and eat. I’ll have dinner in 30 minutes. Perfect for a Monday evening! What I had failed to remember was that the last time I cooked this I had a mandolin at hand so getting the carrots into uniform julienne cuts was easy. This time I decided to practice my cleaver knife skills on my carrots and my carrot sticks turned out pretty decent but it took me a good twenty minutes or to hand cut my carrots ... so dinner still made it to the table but it took twice the time to make. Not such a fast dinner but still dead simple and delicious.


Carrot and Tuna Salad

Serves 4

Ingredients:
3 medium carrots, peeled
½ red onion, finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 Tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
1 tin of canned tuna, drained

Dressing:
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
Soy sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Slice carrots thinly on a diagonal then stack three or four carrot slices and then slice lengthways to form long julienne cuts.
2. Mix julienne carrots, onion, garlic and oil in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 2-5 minutes, depending on your microwave, until the carrots are lightly cooked.
3. Mix dressing ingredients. Add the drained tuna and then dressing and mix well. Serve hot or cold.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home