Saturday, May 31, 2008

Salad Days

My vegetable man in the nearby market has been good to me. He has over the years been a good supplier of fresh crisp greens and other colourful roots but in the recent years he has been sourcing for a wider variety of vegetables and has cultivated a substantial and growing choice of organic products.

After a monster meal yesterday, I decided a salad was the only way to go today. I walked to the market today in search of fabulous things for my chopped salad and digestion. I find the idea of a chopped salad very appealing. One of the reasons is strange and self serving. One of my favourite things to do in life is to mise en place. It is weird I know. And I love working with the knife, slicing, dicing and chopping. So for me, the chopped salad is perfect, I get to savour the whole process of preparing it and then I get double the pleasure from forking through it. The salad combinations are unlimited and just think of it of a mix of something light, something fresh and a clever mix of things in my fridge or the guiding principal can be – select the things you love to eat.

This was my chopped salad of the day.



Romaine lettuce
Sautéed shiitake mushooms
Tomatoes
Manchego cheese
Leftover roast beef
Quail’s eggs
Vinaigrette made from the best olive oil you can get, vinegar and your favourite mustard

2 Comments:

Blogger superfinefeline said...

I know what you mean about enjoying the mise en place process. I love working with the knife too though my knife skills are definitely not as good as yours. :)

There's something about how the sharp knife cuts cleanly into the ingredients and the sound that it sometimes makes (like watching a sword fight) that is quite enjoyable. It might sound weird to others but I think you know what I mean.

The salad looks fab!!!

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you go for your veggies? :) Wey

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home