Sunday, November 25, 2007

Joo Heng - Simply Delicious

Joo Heng Restaurant
360 Joo Chiat Road
Tel: 6345-1503

Whilst I haven’t been blogging, I am still eating, no real excuse except for the fact that I have been little lazy.

I recently discovered this placed called Joo Heng along Joo Chiat Road, although discovered isn’t exactly the best word to use since this place has been around for yonks. Since finding it, I’ve found the food rather irresistible. I’ve been back there twice within a month and I’ve tried to spread the good news only to find out that a foodie friend of mine has been unintentionally harbouring this secret place from me, he was exposed when I tried to tell him the good news about it only to be told, “oh yeah, that’s my childhood place, I used to eat lunch there so often that the uncle recognises me, I grew fat on that food!”

The food here is what I would call local home styled cuisine -- cze char lah! It is simple straight up tasty food. Whatever we have tried was good and judging from the sample and the good smelling plates of food that whizzed passed me I think it would almost be safe to say that everything on the menu is good.

Whilst it has a selection of shark’s fin dishes, what I remembered most was something that it rather rare on menus nowadays, their poached you yi and te gua dish, gently cooked it was cooked just right and then covered with sauce and served with a garnish of spring onions and ginger, very yummy and I wished more places served this. Their unpretentious and homely style also translates into many other delicious nostalgic dishes that we tried such as prawn-pasted chicken, sweet potato leaves fried with sambal belachan, special tofu, steamed song he fish head and steamed baby squid, all simply put together but all very delicious.

When you dine here you don’t need wisdom for a good meal. Reasonable prices and scrumptious food prevail, so order away.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joo Heng is my favourite-est tze char place! :) Glad you found it. Try the lotus root soup next time, fantastic.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joo Heng recently had a major renovation and its inner appearance is darn amazing! u should go chek it out its all new :D

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home