Thursday, July 07, 2005

Savouring Saigon: Fanny Ice Cream

29-31 Ton That Thiep (D1)
Tel: +84-8211633
Email: info@glacefanny.com
Website: www.glacefanny.com



Coming back to this place brings back memories of my first trip to Ho Chi Minh. When I came here 2 years ago, I had the address of this ice cream place dog-ear-marked in the lonely planet guide that I had purchased off the streets. I’m a lover of ice cream and so was my traveling partner, which is incidentally the same friend that I came to see here in Ho Chi Minh, and so we agreed that by hook or by crook, we had to locate Fanny Ice Cream to satisfy our ice cream dreams.

The search for Fanny Ice Cream however seemed more difficult than we imagined. Armed with a map and our rented motor (K riding and I navigating at the back), we attempted to look for this place 3 times on different days. Each failed attempt filled us simultaneously with disappointment, frustration and increasing resolution to find this damn ice cream parlour. When we FINALLY found it, we were on the brink of squealing with delight! “ICE CREAM, HERE WE COME!” The ice cream was worth the search. Perhaps at that time it was the search that made the ice cream taste so good, that we came back the following day to sample more flavours.

Ironically, on this trip, while I was wandering around the city shopping, I stumbled onto Fanny Ice Cream. I nearly let out a scream when I saw it, but I quickly suppressed my yelp. So I made a mental note of how I got here and made sure that K and I returned there for ice cream, for old time’s sake, for us to reminisce about our last trip there. Here’s my reasons why you should come to Fanny Ice Cream if you are in town …

Nosh: Rich creamy ice creams flavours such as – ginger, cinnamon, coconut, chocolate, mocha, coffee, vanilla, mancha, young rice, rum and raisin, dark chocolate, mint, nougat ginger, caramel and baileys, strawberry and peanut are just about all the flavours on the list. In addition to that, there is a wide choice of fruit sorbets are also available such as – orange, lime, banana, pineapple, watermelon, passionfruit, custard apple, durian, lychee, raspberry, strawberry and mango.

I like my ice cream naked and unadulterated - that is without any toppings or syrups, but I might be the minority. So for the other type of ice cream eaters, there are very interesting sundaes to choose from. The only thing that I might have ventured to try would have been the tartufo or the frozen soufflé (which I now regret not ordering), but other than that, there are wonderful ice cream combinations or sorbet combinations that they put together. I just had 2 scoops – coffee and ginger which came with a sweet wafer, a slice of pineapple and a cute little Vietnamese hat.

My trip back here has confirmed that it wasn’t the tiresome and frustrating treasure hunt journey that we took here that made it delicious, but that the ice cream IS delicious!

Pay: 8,000 – 1,200 VND per scoop of ice cream.
Estimated conversion: S$0.80 – S$1.20, $0.50 - $0.75 USD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home