Thursday, April 14, 2005

Menotti - serving up all day breakfast

252 North Bridge Road #01-17
Raffles City Shopping Centre
Singapore 179103
Tel: 63339366


Chicken salad with Gorgonzola Dressing

By association, I expected good things from this relatively new swanky café by the garibaldi group in raffles city. The last time I went to garibaldi the restaurant I walked out of the restaurant smiling and vowing to go back again. Unfortunately, I haven’t been back YET, but I shall and instead, I decided to go to the more affordable Menotti – the original Italian café.

This was my third time back to the café, on the first occasion I had brunch there with a group of wonderful girls, but silly me forgot to stick the memory card inside the camera and hence, I had some nice tucker and a cappuccino but no pictures. The second time I was there was when I was around the area and someone wanted some dessert and so we popped in for some sweetness, this time, third time lucky with the camera, I had dinner there with friends and sat at the same spot I did the first time, but this time, the sun had set and had the stars as company instead.

I guess if I could go back three times the food can’t be bad and I think it will be on my list of places that I might frequently visit.

Nosh: Italian fanfare – Sandwiches, pre-made for you to go and also a selection that can be freshly made. Salads, they have the classic mozzarella with tomatoes and olive oil, others with octopus, arugala and parmesan, but I usually have the chicken salad with a gorgonzola sauce. A small but rather tempting selection of pastas and soups are also available. The wonderful coffee concoctions are interesting as well and if that doesn’t suit your fancy, there are plenty of desserts for you to amuse yourself with – tiramisu, pannacotta, bittersweet chocolate tartlet, gelatos and gelato creations such as tartufo and others would leave you spoilt for choice. If sweets aren’t you thing, the good news is that they have ALL DAY BREAKFAST! Egg benedicts are available all day.

For my dinner, I had the chicken salad which was wonderful and light but it had substantially less dressing today than my previous visit. To round off my dinner, I had an Affogato – espresso with vanilla ice cream, which was a good way to get a caffeine fix, but I also now realize that, espresso after 7pm isn’t a good idea, because I am feeling really wide awake at this moment in time.

The last time I was there for brunch I had the egg Menotti – poached eggs on a ciabatta with crabmeat, spinach, tomatoes and a lemon sabayon. It sounds wonderful but it was a little too much for me, I could only eat half and I struggled to put another bite in my mouth because it just sat too heavily in my stomach.

Pay: About S$25-S$30 for a main course and dessert, sandwiches are S$6-S$12, desserts are generally below S$10, and I think they have a set dinner for about S$30.
Raves: I love sitting at my alfresco brunch and dinner spot along the walls of raffles city, it is a great place to people watch! Great spot for brunch and with a book and a cuppa.

Room for improvement: Can I get some service please! It doesn’t mean I’m sitting outside I should get substandard service. We almost thought the glass wall that separated the inside from the outside was one of those one way windows since the waiters seemed to be ignoring us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

i've been there 3 times. and all 3 occassions the waiters and waitresses were just plain rude, nonchalant and didn't give a rat's ass.

but hey, nice food. what to do!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... have u realised menotti is gone? i didnt know till i saw Andri the chef de cuisine of menotti at bussorah st.He runs the restaurant there

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home