Friday, February 11, 2005

My Chinese New Year Diet



With all the festive feasting,and the constant need to make sure that my waistline doesn't disappear, this is my solution to enjoying the new year without the aquisition of a double chin -- The YU SHENG DIET. I’ve thought about this and this are my findings, most things that we get during the new year, you can get all year round in Singapore: the pineapple tarts, bak gua, kueh lapis, etc, etc… but when it comes to Yu Sheng, you only get it for about 2-3 weeks in a year. Furthermore, it makes me feel less of a pig when I’m eating this since I’m consuming vegetables and fish, which I feel is healthier food. Plus, I think Yu Sheng has really grown on me over the years since I have given up my anti-vegetables days and I actually really love this stuff now. I’m not sure if this is a Singaporean culinary creation, but whatever it is, it is damn good and I’m eating it for the next 2 weeks.

Chinese New Year food glossary:

* Yu Sheng: a salad of raw fish and shredded crunchy vegetables (such carrots, turnip, cucumber, pickled ginger and pomelo) in a plum sauce dressing.
*Bak Gua: roasted pork slices
*Kueh Lapis: thousand layer cake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home