Tuesday, November 05, 2013

85 South, HK

 


 
BBQ ribs, pulled pork, chips and slaw.

Will this be the start of a new food fad in Hong Kong? This hole in the wall on Kau U Fong is really easy to miss. I’ve walked past it a few times and even on this intentional visit, we weren’t sure if they were even open. I eat meat and I eat BBQ but I’m unfamiliar with the nuances. And since I’m unfamiliar, my yardstick is what they promise to deliver.


“North Carolina BBQ is different from what you’ll find everywhere else. It is the only kind of barbecue in which the meat itself – rather than the smoke, the pepper or the sauce is the centerpiece. Our slaw is a traditional North Carolina BBQ slaw that is unlike any other coleslaw you’ve ever had before. Ours is tomato based with a sweet yet tangy flavor that really compliments the smoky flavor of the pork.”

We had the big boi plate which came with a little of everything – ribs, pulled pork, chips and slaw.



So let’s put the meats forward - the ribs were tender off the bone but spiced rubbed rubs was a tad too aggressively salted and the pulled pork was a little on the dry side but douse it with a bit of sauce or as recommended with the coleslaw and it is good to go. Other meat plates offered were rib plates and also pulled pork sandwiches that judging from mixing the pulled pork and coleslaw on my own plate would be a good sandwich. And finally, as promised, the coleslaw was like nothing I had before and I like their version of it. Out with the mayonnaise and in with the tomato and tang, this was my favourite thing on the plate.

85 South
6-10 Kau U Fong

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger stevenjared0853 said...

This is such an interesting post. I love BBQ and recently thinking to host a BBQ party on my 23rd birthday. Now looking for event venues which offer BBQ. I am thinking to have a DIY wedding as my budget is not that huge.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Danelton
Audiounit
Garsoaparaturosnuomavilniuje
Djpaslaugos
Garsoaparaturosnuomaeu
Garsoaparaturosnuomacom
Blogaudiounitlt
Renginiuvedejai
Bloggarsoaparaturosnuoma
Newsaudiounit
Bloggarsoaparaturosnuomavilniuje"

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home