Sunday, April 30, 2006

Burger binge at Carl's Junior



I’ve been dreaming of a good juicy burger for about 2 weeks so as a follow-up to my burger binge in NYC, I did venture out to Carl’s Junior. I gathered a few never-been-Carl-Juniored before people together for a collective virgin outing to this fast-food burger joint that is known for its comparatively huge burger portions. In this case, size does really matter. For its prices, the burgers seem relatively huge, but in reality I think the only thing that is upsized are the burger buns. The meat patties are relatively thin, moderately juicy but too small to stand its own against the two large bread walls it lies between. The only way around this is for you to order a double patty burger, which means it will cost more and it might be too much for one to stomach.

We sampled a range of burgers—chilli cheese burger, guacamole bacon burger, super star with cheese, portobello burger—along with the whole shebang of sides. This is my verdict: among the sides, I liked the onion rings best, the chilli fries were too salty and the deep fried zucchinis were nothing to shout about. And the burgers, well, let’s just say it didn’t give me enough return of investment to get me to go back. I’m off burgers again.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger shaz said...

i would think you would stay off those burgers after you had the really good stuff in nyc. Anyways, welcome home

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi fellow foodie!
I totally agree with your assessment of Carls JR burger... it just lacks ...for want of a better word.. BODY...actually, i used to love BONGO burgers.. but they closed for renovations... but they are back.. but i have yet to savour them... can you guess where you can get one from?..

In the meanwhile, i'll swap info with you if you can tell me where i can get a good phillidelphia cheese steak..drool!

BONGO burgers are't actually made from bongos!

Bongo

10:36 PM  
Blogger joone! said...

shaz: yes, i'm off burgers for a while. My recent craving is for a good plate of hokkien mee.

Bongo: hmm.. night safari? (i cheated, i googled it) As to your question about a philly cheese steak, i don't think i have an answer to that (yet!).

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, I love your blog, have been reading it for some time now.

On Carl's: I agree. The thing about burgers is: its NOT true that its all fast food stuff. A good burger can be a culinary delight in its own right: fresh ground beef, good bacon, maybe some nice sauce, BBQ or whatever or an egg. Hard Rock serves great burgers. Uber(whatever) looks good but not tried it.

Carl's burgers are huge but maybe its the frozen patties or whatever, I agree with the earlier post, there is a lack of "body" or whatever.

Keep up the good work!

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home