Monday, October 18, 2004

The new member of the Da Paolo-ians

Da Paolo Pizza Bar
44 Jalan Merah Saga #01-46
Singapore (278116)
Telephone: 64796059

Just for the record, I think my favourite pizza bar at the moment is Spizza. I haven’t been there in a while, but I remember going there when it first opened on Club Street, and I have a good memory of the place. However, coming back to Da Paolo which is the issue at hand, we had lunch there today and it set us back on average $20 per person.

I liked the feel of this place. It’s got a laid back lazy Sunday afternoon place feel. The ceiling is lined with these cowprint/skin and they have got some sort of organic wood thing going on. The long tables nearest to the kitchen are rather cool, they are long and slim and they are cut from one block of wood, the only this is that, its so slim that you would most probably end up knee-knocking with the person opposite you and if you sit at a decent distance to prevent the knee-knocking, you might be too far away from the table for the food.



Piandina con fettina -- Thin pizza bread with slices of beef.

The menu is simple and relatively comprehensive: salads, sides, pizzas and some hot dishes if you desire such. They also serve breakfast/brunch on Sundays. We ordered a salad, the chef’s special pizza – Italian sausage, chili flakes and porcini mushrooms on a choice of either squid ink, arugula or (something else that I can’t remember) pizza base, I chose arugula. In addition to that we had a beef sandwich on thin pizza dough and a gorgonzola cheese pizza topped off with parma ham. Pizza was good, although I wished I could taste more of the arugula in the pizza dough. The most interesting plate was the beef sandwich, maybe I’ll have that the next time I’m there.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah... I kinda like the thin crust pizzas at that place at Wisma that took over Breeks. Not sure if it is up to YOUR standard man, but it tastes pretty good to me!

POP

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, i regret that i have not gone out to dinner with you more often when i was in Singapore... your website looks great, and the photos look... yummy! Making me hungry. Keep up the good work!

Tak-Cheng

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im a pizza fan too. What's good at spizza? any recommendations? If u like good pizza, try Prego at Raffles City. Its one for one pizza or pasta till 31 July 07 after 10:30pm (supper of course) with Citibank credit card. I usually have the Prego pizza. Squid Ink pasta is good too but not available for supper. Let me know what u think of the place.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home